Friday 13 January 2012

Tips

I am coming across little things each day that help me either with my physio routine or with stuff generally. So I though I would set up a post to add them to as Tips as I come across them.

They're not major things, but as they say "Every little helps"!

Stop Watch
Now that I have to do my physio exercises every hour I found I was forgetting the time and missing out on a few sets. So now I set my stop watch on my phone for 60 mins to remind me. Simple but effective!

E45 Massage
Before starting the physio routine, I use E45 lotion to massage my whole leg. This helps to warm up the muscles before I start to work them. Initially, I did it to "test the water" as I was very scared of touching my injured leg, especially around the knee area, so the massage helped to remind me that it was fine and build my confidence a little before starting the routine. The massage also has the advantage of moisturising my skin and keeping my leg silky smooth!


Toilet Roll
Yes, I know this sounds weird, but I've found that when I'm doing my quad presses a half used toilet roll placed underneath my knee is way more helpful than a hand or rolled up towel. It has sufficient "give" to allow the knee to press down without discomfort that is caused purely by having something rigid underneath of it. As the range of movement increases, I will be able to use a bigger toilet roll to give me more to press down on.

Counter Flexing
When I'm doing either knee bends or quad presses, after a little while I feel as though my joint is beginning to "lock". I've found that its helpful to release the muscle slightly by doing a counter action. For example, when working on heel slides to bend the knee, do an occasional quad press to release some tension and then continue with the heel slides.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Cari,

    The toilet roll idea sounds great, actually! I had been told to use an empty coffee can with a towel on it but it was too big and too hard. When next I get back to that stage of pt I will use the toilet roll!
    (webster1661) / Cathy

    ReplyDelete

Some of the Items I've Bought for My Rehab and Recommend