Friday 20 January 2012

More Tips .....

Gel Ice Packs
I'd bought these a couple of weeks back after reading about them and anticipating that I may need them after my physio sessions. One evening my knee was swollen and hot so I used the ice pack for the first time. After about 10 minutes, the soreness had gone and after 20 mins the redness and swelling had also started to disappear. So now I use the packs after each exercise session to stop the swelling before it has chance to start. I only need to ice the joint for about 20 mins but it certainly does the trick! It also helps to ice the joint for 10 mins or so before I start the routine - I've read somewhere that the cold numbs the area somewhat and so makes it more tolerable to push the boundaries slightly.

Hanging my Heels
This is probably the best tip I've been given yet and it was given to me by a Knee Geeks member. I slide down to the bottom of the bed and start by just letting my heels slightly overhang the edge of the bed. Gradually, I shuffle down further towards the edge, letting my heels dangle further over, testing the water for tension (and any likely pain!) as I go. This has the effect of allowing gravity to gently work on the bend in my knee, therefore improving my range of motion. The first couple of times I did it, I only shuffled far enough to be able to feel the gentle pull on my muscles but the last couple of times I have been able to let my heels move closer to the floor. The effect is amazing! After sitting there for about 30 mins, shuffling further every 5 mins or so, move back up the bed and try your heel slides again ... you will be pleasantly surprised!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of the Items I've Bought for My Rehab and Recommend