Friday 20 January 2012

First Steps in My New Hinge Brace

This week began with the news that my physio appointment was cancelled and I would have to wait over a week for the next one. I was immediately disheartened because it had already been a week since the doctor had told me to start walking without the splint and I'd been hoping that the PT would be able to help me out with this. So it looked as though I was on my own with it for now, another week was too long to wait without doing something to try to advance my progress.

That same evening, I trawled the Internet for information about various knee supports and braces. What a mine field that is! There are so many different types, for various problems, and just selecting which one would be appropriate was quite nerve wracking ... I didn't want to buy the wrong one and do more damage! In the end I settled for a lockable hinge brace. I felt that I needed to be able to lock it straight to begin with, until I get used to not having the security of my splint, and then slowly let out the flexion as my range of motion improves. After much internet research, I decided on the PhysioRoom Elite Hinged, see below.



The brace arrived in two days and I was both excited and terrified at the same time! The first thing I did was inspect the hinge adjustments to make sure they locked securely and set it at zero range for added security! I tried it on for size and the immediate impression was how much lighter than my splint it was. Time to stand up and test the water next .....

It turned out that standing up was the easy bit. On the other hand, taking my first steps was an absolute disaster! I was convinced that my muscles would not be strong enough to hold me and that my knee would give way when it took the weight as I moved my good leg forward. The first step was kind of ok once I finally managed to pluck up the courage to move my good leg, at least there was no pain. But I was so nervous, I tensed up every muscle in my body and on the second step my knee jolted backwards because I was holding it so stiff. It didn’t hurt but I hadn’t been prepared for movement in that direction  ... I totally freaked out and gave up there and then!

The following day I resolved to try again, determined that if I didn’t master this then everything that followed would be an even bigger mountain to climb. The brace in place, I got to my feet and took a deep breath. This time as I was about to lift my good foot forward, I let my injured knee bend forward slightly – it couldn’t bend too much as I’d locked the brace in place. Success! There was no backward jolt, no pain and although I was shaking like a leaf I managed to take my first few unsplinted steps in seven weeks! The more I concentrated on the steps and movements, the harder and scarier it got, to the point where I almost froze to the spot so to take my mind off it I sang nursery rhymes as I plodded along! Ridiculous almost to the point of insanity, but I swear it worked! I rested for a bit and then tried again, this time all the way to the living room and back. And then later another attempt, from bedroom to bathroom to living room. I’d only covered a short distance, but it felt like such an achievement I may have actually just walked on the moon!

There is still much confidence building to be gained through practice before I can say its time to release the hinge a little, but practice makes perfect they say, so all I can do for now is keep at it, again and again and again....

Search for More Knee Braces here...

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this info Cari, I am thinking of looking into getting a brace even tho no one (Dr. or pt) has mentioned it to me. But I was 8 months post-op from my first fractured patella when I fell again and refractured it! I like the idea that you can set the maximum angle for the hinge and it stops there! If I had that on I probably wouldn't have suffered the 2nd fracture. (ain't hindsight wonderful?)

    I like your blog... hope you are doing better. Remember, small steps! Don't push for too much or you could do more damage than good. I hope you are able to have your hardware out soon, if that's what you wish.

    (webster1661 / Cathy)
    (p.s. I'm only posting "anonymous" here cause I'm not familiar with any of the other url optioins.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost forgot.... I love the nursery rhymes idea!! I work with children (early literacy) so I love singing and reading!

      Delete
    2. Hi Cathy, I got the brace because I was too terrified to walk without any support after ditching the splint. I was scared enough even with that on, but once I got going it definitely helped. My PT stopped me wearing it because she wanted me to build up my quads and not depend on it too much. But I still have it, and will probably wear it out and about when I'm finally off the crutches, especially when I go back to work all day.

      Nursery rhymes are brilliant distractions, I'm doing it again now that I'm trying to learn to walk with just one crutch ... ha, I'm such a wimp, I need all the help I can get!

      Delete

Some of the Items I've Bought for My Rehab and Recommend