Friday 11 May 2012

Getting a Switch Stick Walking Cane

I never thought I would see the day when I would actually be excited to open a parcel that contained a walking stick! Ha, well today I got my brand new Bubbles Switch Stick walking cane, and have to say ... I love it!

Shhhh though, don't tell my Physio terrorist about this, I don't think he'd approve. Progression was meant to be walker > two crutches > one crutch > zilch! To be perfectly honest, I CAN walk around the house by now without crutches, but its in a very Frankenstein style fashion and I limp like hell. I always thought that even when I can walk about outside without the crutch I will want to carry something with me, as a safety blanket and also as a "Get-outta-my-way-coz-I-can't-get-outta-yours-so-fast" warning to others. Have you noticed how ignorant of disabilities other people can be? How they expect you to dodge them, even though you are on crutches and struggling to put one foot in front of the next? Was I like that before this injury? hmmmm .....

Anyway, I did some research, and checked with the KneeGeeks club, and decided that I would try a stick. So I went out a couple of times and tested some frail looking versions, which did more to put me off than encourage me. I'd read on the Internet about Switch Sticks and not only did they look more sturdy than some others, they also came in great funky colours and styles! Then last weekend I was at a garden centre and spotted a stock of Switch Sticks. I decided to take one for a test drive and on the first step I just knew it was going to be more reliable than the others I'd tried out. By the time I'd walked several steps, I also knew that it was going to be perfect to help me make the progression from crutch to walking unaided. It felt more independent than walking with the crutch (no elbow support for a start) but yet my walking gait (stepping style) was more natural than when I try to walk without support.





I already knew that I could pick one up cheaper on the Internet, so I came straight home and ordered one. I knew I wanted the Bubbles design, I love bright funky colours and patterns and this has both. So it arrived today, I've tried it out around the house and for the first time in months I actually feel like I'm just walking around my home rather than making a huge deal of getting from A to B. Brilliant, will continue to report here on how its going with the Switch Stick, although it may be put on hold for a bit after I get my surgery next week. But I will be eager to get back to where I left off, and back to my shiny Bubbles "Broomstick" too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of the Items I've Bought for My Rehab and Recommend