Wednesday 14 March 2012

MUA Cancelled, Hardware Removal Postponed

Well the jury is out on the MUA and my doctor has decided that it doesn't need to go ahead. He feels that although my Range of Movement progress is slow (70-90 in two weeks), it is nevertheless steady and the strength in my quads is building (also slowly) so he doesn't want to disrupt that. 

The sudden pain that started last week, just above my patella is apparently a shifted pin, digging into the ligament there. It only occurs when engaging my quads when my leg gets to about 20 degrees. Before 20 degrees, no pain - past 20 degrees, no pain hence the feeling that its a shifted pin causing it. He felt that the hardware should probably be removed, but because the skin over my knee is quite tender and shiny, indicating possible scar tissue/nerve healing problems, he doesn't want to go ahead and cut it open again just yet. So I have to wait a little while longer for that, and basically keep doing what I'm doing with PT for now.

He also suggested that I need to move onto using just the one crutch now and agreed that I can arrange a date to return to work. Driving may be a bit more of an issue, so I'll need to find a way around that for now, but the doc said that as soon as I feel confident enough to have a go at it I can go ahead and try.

So all good I guess ... not sure my Physio Therapist will see it that way when I see him tomorrow, he was quite keen to have me get the MUA done! To save him some work maybe ......?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of the Items I've Bought for My Rehab and Recommend