Wednesday 4 January 2012

From Cast to Splint and Staple Removal

14 December 2011

"Having staples removed is always fun" was a quote posted on my Facebook page! Well, I guess I was about to find out. After having the cast cut away with that macabre looking saw tool, I lay on the bed for the nurse to "whip out" my 24 staples. For anyone who has never had the pleasure of this experience, I would say, really don't worry, its not as bad as it sounds. A few tiny stings at the worst and most of them I didn't feel at all. Just don't make my mistake and Google it first, as pictures of the little blighters will make their extraction appear excruciating, if not impossible!

This is my scar 2 weeks after the staples had been removed


The deed done, I was taken to Xray to find out how things were doing 16 days after surgery. Ouch! Why do Radiographers always require broken bones to be placed into the most inconvenient positions for their snapshots?! I think my words were, "this really isn't feeling good right now" before he moved it into a slightly more bearable position. Very polite I thought, given the circumstances.

I didn't get to see the consultant back at the clinic, but he apparently surveyed my Xrays and his registrar came to deliver the news. Not the exact words, but it went something like this .....

"Yes, it was a very bad fracture, but the surgeon has done his best to repair it. Expect to experience early onset of osteo-arthritis though as the underneath of the bone is not quite smooth enough"

Didn't exactly fill me with glee to be honest, but I was relieved to know that my, by now, throbbing joint was going to put into a splint and left alone for the next four weeks ... well, apart from a little "gentle" PT (Physio Therapy) that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of the Items I've Bought for My Rehab and Recommend